You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Local Q & A

How is the local transport services at Himachal Pradesh?

Hello

If I have to visit Himachal Pradesh, how can I travel down to Himachal and what is the Local Transport service in Himachal Pradesh?

Regards
    Hello Friend,

First of all it will be a pleasure to have people like you as guests in this beautiful state. Transport services provided by the State government are fine enough. As it is a hilly area, availability of autos and trains is almost negligible. Buses and cars have the hegemony over the transport. There are number of local and long route buses that carry passengers to almost every end of teh Road in Himachal. Thus the buses form the best means of transport here.

However, you might have heard of the Shimla Kalka Railway Line, which was declared as world heritage site by UNESCO in December 2008, is the only railway line from Kalka(25 kms away from Chandigarh to Shimla). It is a masterpiece of its kind. Unlike other trains, the 'Toy Train' which runs on this track takes more time to reach Shimla than by the buses on road. But the scenic view of lush green vegetation, tall trees, about hundred dark tunnels can be enjoyed by traveling in this train.

Hope that provides a good information to you.

"At great attempts, it is glorious even to fail."

Regards,
    Rohit Mian
    Webmaster Himachalspider.
    Editor India Study Channel.

Hello Apuva,

One more thing I would like to add here, as far as the local transport in main Shimla is concerned. Recently, about 15 days back, a very good initiative was taken by the Himachal Pradesh government to ease the local transport. The HP government has provided the city with a number of new red-coloured skyline buses. They will cover almost all the local areas. The fair will be the multiple of 5 that is Rs.5, 10, or 15. For the areas within the radius of 5 kms will be charged Rs 5, up to 8 kms will be charged Rs. 10 and above this the fair will be Rs. 15.

The buses are really comfortable. Yesterday only I enjoyed my first journey in it. The best thing is that it has reduced lots of crowding in the local buses as the number of local buses have increased now. We can say that it is an appreciable step by the Himachal government.

"At great attempts, it is glorious even to fail."

Regards,
    Rohit Mian
    Webmaster Himachalspider.
    Editor India Study Channel.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.