Temples, Monastery and Church Near Dharamshala:
1. Bhagsunath temple in Mcleodganj: Bhagsunath temple is 11kms from Dharamshala. Bhagsunath temple is an ancient temple just few kilometers from main Mcleodganj. Fresh water springs are close to Bhagsunath temple which is considered holy.
2. Kunal Pathri Temple: Kunal Pathri temple is another famous temple located at a distance of 3 kms from Dharamshala. Kunal Pathri temple is an old rock temple. It is also one of the major tourist attractions in Dharamshala. Kuna;l pathri temple is dedicated to goddess Kapaleshwari. It is believed that skull of Sati fell in this region which gave birth to Kunal Pathri temple.
3. Durgeshwara Temple: Durgeshwara temple is located at a distance of 11kms from Dharamshala. The temple is situated beside the famous Dal lake in Dharamshala.
4. Akhanjar Mahadev Temple: Akhanjar Mahadev temple is situated at a distance of about 8.5 kms from Dharamshala in Khaniyara village. The Akhanjar Mahadev temple is dedicated to snakes. The premises of Akhanjar Mahadev temple has cold water running throughout the year. On the back side of the temple one can find stones in the shape of snakes.
5. Masroor Temple: Masroor temple is bit far from Dharamshala, but a place worth visiting. Masroor temple is 40 kms from Dharamshala. One can find stone statues of Rama, Laxmana and Sita in Masroor temple. Masroor temple is a rock cut temple which is the only of its type in North India.
6. Namgyal Monastery: Mcleodganj is well-known for its famous Namgyal Monastrey which contains the images of Buddha, Avalkoteshwara and Padmasambhava. Various Thangka paintings makes the walls of Namgyal Monastery look even more beautiful.
7. St. John's Church: Located amidst the dense Deodar trees, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, is the old St. John's Church, at a distance of 8kms from Dharamshala. Here lies the grave of Lord Elign a former British Viceroy who died in Dharamshala in 1863. St. John's Church in Dharamshala is one of the oldest churches in North India. St. John's Church in Dharamshala was built in the year 1852. The church also has a huge bell which does not ring any more.
More articles: Dharamshala Tourism