Introduction to Chail in Solan:
One of the best tourist spots in the Solan district of Himachal Pradesh is the Chail. Chail is situated at a height of 2150 metres above sea level. Chail was once the 'Summer Capital' of the erstwhile princely state of Patiala.
Chail came into being when Maharaja of Patiala built a beautiful mansion in Chail when he was expelled from main Shimla town. He built this beautiful mansion in the year 1891. Today this splendid mansion built by Maharaja of Chail is the four starred Palace Hotel. Occupying 75 acres of land and surrounded by many pine and deodar trees, the Palace Hotel in Chail includes many cottages, woods, sports and other recreation facilities.
There are three famous hills in the vicinity of Chail- Rajgarh Hill which marks the presence of Palace Hotel of Chail, Sidh Hill famous for Sidh Baba's Temple and last is the Pandhewa Hill where resides the house of former British President of Patiala.Climate of Chail is very pleasant and cool all around the year.
Major Attractions in Chail:
1. Chail has a famous Sidh Baba Temple situated on the Sidh Hill at a distance of 1.5 km. It was the original site of the palace of Bhupinder Singh.
2. Built in the year 1893 at an astonishing height of 2444.4 metres, Chail's cricket and polo ground is considered to be the highest in the world.
3. Giri river is at a distance of 29 kms from Chail in Gaura region. Fishing is possible in Giri river.
4. A famous tourist spot between Chail and Kandaghat is the Sadhupul. Recently Himachal government gave several hectares of land to Baba Ramdev in Sadhupul for preparation of various Ayurvedic medicines.
5. Kufri, the famous snow spot is just an hour journey from Chail at a distance of 28 kms..
6. Wildlife Sanctuary- Chail falls within 11,000 hectare sanctuary having lots of rare species of animals and birds like Monal, Sambhar, Ghoral, Kakkar, Himalayan Black Bear, porcupines, leopards etc.
Check out beautiful photographs of the famous 'Palace Hotel' in Chail: Palace Hotel, Chail
More articles: Solan Tourism