Specifications of Rohtang Tunnel,Kullu:
1. Rohtang Tunnel will connect Lahaul and Spiti and Manali and Leh.
2. Rohtang Tunnel will be double lane providing both sides transportation facility.
3. Length of Rohtang Tunnel will be 8.82 kms.
4. Width of of Rohtang Tunnel will be 11.25 metres.
5. Rohtang Tunnel will constructed at a chilling height of 13,300 feet.
6. BRO will take up the construction work of Rohtang Tunnel.
7. About 63 months are expected to complete the Rohtang Tunnel. That is, in the year 2015.
8. Budget of Rs. 18,00 crore is kept for the construction of Rohtang tunnel.
9. Maximum driving speed will be limited to 80 kms/hr within Rohtang Tunnel.
Benefits of Rohtang Tunnel, Kullu:
1.Rohtang Tunnel will reduce the distance between Lahaul Spiti and Manali by 46 kms.
2. Rohtang Tunnel will save a driving journey of about two hours.
3. Presently there is a way via Rohtang pass which generally remain closed for a period of six months due to adverse climatic conditions and heavy snowfall in the region. As such it is impossible to drive across it during this time. However, completion of Rohtang tunnel will serve as a solution to this problem and will provide all year access between the Manali and Lahaul.
4. Rohtang Tunnel will also help in reducing the distance between india-Pakistan and China dominated Tibet regions.
5. Completion of Rohtang Tunnel will give a boost up to the tourism in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir and will enhance the economic growth of the two states.
More articles: Rohtang Tunnel