Himachal Pradesh Government Food processing unit (himcu) Rajgrah, Sirmour
Himachal Pradesh Government Fruit Processing Unit (himcu) located at Rajgrah under Sirmour district is one of the food processing industries in the state, especially based on horticultural crops. The unit was established in 1968 – 1969, with the initiatives from the Department of Horticulture. The processing unit is situated at a distance of about 2 km from the Rajgrah town and about 40 km from the commercial centre of Solan. There are eight such units located at various districts of the state, which serves as the demonstration centre for the general public.
These units are financed and managed by the Department of Horticulture and are functional under the state government. During every financial year the budget for each unit is decided, corresponding to the targets set. The products that are being processed vary with the availability of cash crops in and around the locality. The unit at Rajgrah is mainly know for canning of halved peaches, besides processing of other products such as jam, squash, fruit drinks, chutney, pickles etc.
The processing of fruits into different products is all manually handled and use of machine is very limited. The labourers thus hired are seasonal and paid on daily bases and during the off-season only permanent staffs run the unit. The unit is best suited for the demonstration to the farmers and entrepreneurs on cottage scale production as it is situated in the village assessable from all the corners of the district.
Objectives of fruit processing unit of Rajgarh, Himachal Pradesh
1. Utilization of surplus fruits
2. Provide employment opportunities to women
3. Give free advice to entrepreneurs and individuals
4. Community canning services
Lay out plan of Rajgarh unit
1. The unit was follows the principles laid down by the FPO.
2. Sanitary requirements by the plant are fully followed:
3. The premises are fully cleaned, ventilated and white washed.
4. Windows and doors are suited to fly proof besides a fly trap mechanism is also there.
5. The water used in the plant is potable.
6. The plant has an efficient drainage system and there are adequately provisions for disposal of refuse.
7. There are sufficient toilets for the workers separately.
8. Besides the workers engaged in processing have been provided with aprons, headwear's and gloves.
A. Processing hall
Machinery and Equipments:
1. Fruit crusher
2. Hydraulic press
3. Pulpers:- Citrus pulper, Baby pulper and Fruit pulper
4. Weighing scale
5. Punching machine
6. Can reformer
7. Flanging machine
9. Double jacketed open steam kettles 3 nos.
10. Exhaust box
11. Double seamer
12. Set of processing and cooling tanks
13. Kerosene fueled burner
14. Grinding machine
B. packing and grading rooms
C. Store Rooms
D. Administrative block
No. of permanent workers - 13
FPO No. - 2823
FPO No. (common for all units) - 9925R
Type of unit - cottage scale